Pahalgam

 20th October 2022

The best laid out plans can go crazy.

Rained the whole of last night. Woke up very early, stayed up a while listening to the drops splatter in the roof. 

Finally got up around 0630. No power. Even the backup had been switched off.

Got organized. Had a hot bath. 

Stepped out, into the cold.

It was still raining, the wind was up, and snow had fallen on the peaks visible over the Dal Lake.



Tried hustling the guys to serve me breakfast. It finally came around 0830.

Post breakfast it was a wait for a shikara to take me to the road. The senior guy mentioned that it would be appropriate to check on the roads before I left for Gurez. 

Called the hotel where I was booked. The initial reply was that all was well. Gto a call back in 5 minutes. The hotel had called the local police. Snowfall had forced closure of the roads to Gurez for the day. There went my plans. Gurez is considered one of the most beautiful parts of Kashmir.

Called my connect for Kashmir. Told him that I was diverting to next stop - Pahalgam. Asked him if he could try and swing a hotel.

Got the shikara finally. Was dropped at the road. Got wet walking from the shikara drop off to the parking area.

Drove out in pouring rain, into traffic.

Exited Srinagar. The traffic just did not ease of. Stayed on the left lane, allowing all the crazy locals to do their thing. The entire drive till Anantnag is one populated stretch. 

The climb starts thereafter.





Does not last too long. Just a gentle hour.

Reached Pahalgam Club, where I was booked for 3 days. But that was after a couple of days.

It was still raining, and I was obviously cold.

Did not need to explain too much.

Got a room for a day. That was good enough for me. The room was air conditioned, means heated. Had a geyser, and a shower. Bliss.

Checked in. Had to pay cash.



 

Came in for lunch in a while. 

The rainfall had changed to snowfall.

 




Not sure if you can see the snow. It is clear in my video shots. But, those don't get posted.

Snowfall lasted an hour.

I retired to my room, got my plans for Kashmir reset accordingly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicham Day 3 - Day of the Blue Sheep

Kufri into Kaza

Into Masai Mara