Into Baderwah

21st October 2022

The course was set when it snowed on the 19th night. All high roads got closed.

Similarly, a road which I was supposed tom drive on from Pahalgam was closed. Same reason.

Got up to these sights.



Departed as soon as I could. The chill is fine. But mix it with wet, and me does not enjoy. Curtails movement.

Got on the road. Nice thing inside the vehicle is the engine heat. Makes you forget how cold and windy it is outside.


Went past Anantnag comfortably. It is a huge city, laid out on either side of the highway. My run was before school time.

Got on the Jammu Highway.

This was the first traffic jam.


 

Lorries were stopped. Had no clue why, but they were choking the flow.

Then entered the Banihal Tunnel. Quite a long one.


Came out on the other side to see this beautiful terrain.


 


Turned of the highway as my route required me.

The road got windy. BRO was working on it.

Approached a city called Ramban. Movement slowed to a crawl for the next 30 kilometers. From Ramban to the Chenani Nashri Tunnel.

I needed to take a left just before the tunnel toll gate.

The 30 kilometers took 3 hours.




 You can see the vehicles lined up in the pictures, in front of me and behind me. Bloody chaos. Needed the HP police officer who cleared the Darcha bridge.

Once I turned off the main highway, it was a clean run. Well, it was a clean run on the highway too, once vehicles entered the tunnel.

The chaos was because lorries navigating up the road from Jammu occupy width. That is why the lorries to Jammu were stopped before the Banihal tunnel. 

The next 2 and a half hours was driving pleasure. Good roads, great scenery, low traffic. 110 kilometers. Started at 1400 and was at the hotel at 1630. Will come back this way on my way to Jammu. Connect with the Chenani tunnel.

 









The place I am staying is Cool Breeze Homestay. It is in the older part of Baderwah. Had to navigate thru markets to get there.

Great people. The owners live upstairs. Very welcoming and warm.

Tomorrow is another easy day. Take a walk. Sit in the sun.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicham Day 3 - Day of the Blue Sheep

Kufri into Kaza

Into Masai Mara