Africa - Into Kigali

26th July 2023

 This time is all about a journey to Africa, made possible by some amazing bullying by my kids.

My younger daughter had a conference in Kigali. She asked me if I was interested in joining them on a couple of trips they were making after the conference was over. I was vague, never gave it any real thought. Then my elder daughter brought up the subject. In a short while, was cornered out of reasons not to travel.

So, here I am, on day two of journey, sitting at an Airbnb in Kigali, waiting for the conference to get done with.

Departed Chennai by Air India. Landed in Mumbai early evening. Crew served up a hot meal in the one hour 40 minutes flight. Seriously impressed. Was booked into a airport hotel within the terminal. The voucher said all paid for. Reached the place. My name was there for sure, but the guys wanted me to pay up. Checked with my travel guys whom I have known for decades. Given it was past work hours, it was taking time for the clarification process. So, I just paid and got in. Got a call later that the hotel had not done their homework. Long story, I would get my refund from the travel agent.

The hotel is called Niranta. Inside Terminal 2 Mumbai. One level down  from the arrival gates. It has all the necessities for a night transfer. Small room, clean linen and towels, good showers. The food available is basic. Booze is expensive, very. Easier to go to the duty free, pick up a bottle and have a few. That is, if you have a method of packing an open bottle in your checkin baggage. Else, carry a hip flask. 

Had a few Captain Morgans, with a sandwich.

Woke up at 0230 on the 26th, and was at the checkin counter at 0345. The walk from the hotel to checkin takes 10 minutes, three levels up. Breezed thru checkin and security. Was much before the crowd. The immigration guy was highly inquisitive. Made him happy.

The flight to Nairobi, Kenya, took off at 0645. It was a six and a half hour flight. Good flight. Served breakfast. The crew member gave me vegetarian by oversight. Could not eat the paneer masala with chapati, not at the beginning of a journey. Needed a secure system. Had a dry bun with jam instead, lubricated by tea.

Landed into Nairobi at 1045, local time. They are two and a half hours behind us. Had been told by my daughter, who had taken the same flight path earlier in the month, about a steak place just past security.

Found it with ease, but decided to sit back and relax till 1300. My wait was till 1800, loads of time to kill.

The local beer, White Cap, is a sugar free beer. Good stuff. They also had a beer called Tusker on tap. Had the beer with some Beef Stew and Rice, accompanied by seasonal vegetables. The vegetables consisted of broccoli only.

Got to my gate and planted myself in a comfortable position. The place was flooded with the Chinese. Well, there was a flight taking them all home at 1600. The place emptied, to be slowly and surely filled by Africans, some Indians, and a few whites.

The flight was supposed to be a Embraer 190, which has a capacity of around 100 people. The crowd I saw building was upward of twice that. The mystery was solved as we boarded. The aircraft was changed to a Boeing 777-800. Holiday season, high crowds.

Met a Basketball coach, leading the Ivory Coast team to a tournament in Kigali. Turns out he had been coaching in Bangalore for 4 years, at SAI.

The flight was overflowing. Were served excellent sandwiches during the short one and a half hour flight.

Landed into Kigali, Rwanda, at 1830 local time. Now three and a half hours behind India time. 

Immigration was interesting. The guy at the counter wanted the address of the place I was staying. Point is, I did not have an address, just a google location , and a route print out. The officer was extremely helpful. Took some time locating the address and stamped me thru. I was expecting having to pay USD50 for a visa. It was free. All my plans to change a 100 got squashed.
 

Got a taxi just outside arrivals. Reached the place I was to stay to be welcomed by some chilled Tusker beer. Had a shower after the beer. Then some more.

Today, the 27th of July, is the last day of this conference which has over 1500 delegates. My daughter, son in law and their colleagues have a symposium for an hour and a half in the afternoon.

I am supposed to meet up with them when they are done with their work. Then go on to the local market. Followed by a eatery that serves booze.


Tomorrow we head towards the wildlife.

Not sure how internet services are in the wild. But, will update as and when.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicham Day 3 - Day of the Blue Sheep

Kufri into Kaza

Into Masai Mara